Thursday, September 3, 2009

Islands don't dream of Cities like Us

It's been a while I know.
sorry I've just been busy falling in love

this city is magical.
everyone has their place
Vienna is mine.

the history
the architecture
the orange pear popsicles

So it started on Friday with a train in to Vienna,
sweaty walk to my Hostle(Wombats Base), it's like 36 degrees out blazing sun
I'd be stoked if not for my 2 backpacks, laptop bag, and suitcase that I'm carrying.
booked a 4 person room (all girl cause they come with hair dryers). I get to my room and open the door, the girl lying on the bottom left bunk stirs, looks at me, then rolls back over onto the bed.
Awkwardly I say hello and she says nothing.
good start.
3 of the 4 beds were taken, so I throw my stuff on the top right, grab my laptop and head to the lobby for some free WLAN and the toilet since ours was in use by unfriendly number 2. Got a text from the dude who's apartment I'd be renting for September to meet up at 6:30. I spent the next few minutes figuring out how to get there and I was off. Now I had to pay the months rent and I had only 200 Euro on me and needed another 300. well here's the thing, I have a daily limit off 500$ CDN! conversion. right. which I didn't put together until I was at the bank machine being told my limit was exceeded. took out 310 paid him and was left with 10 euro. I'd been traveling all day and was starving. Friday night, 10 euro to see me til morning.
So I head to the middle of the city and find a patio restaurant have a seat and gander, figuring at this point that I'll treat myself to a nice dinner courtesy of MasterCard.
I sit, order an appy and a bottle of water. as the waiter brings my drink it occurs to me to ask if they indeed take MC, I assume that they do, but it never hurts to ask.
I ask if they take credit cards. they do. Visa. ONLY.
lucky for me I had just enough to cover my order which I sheepishly downed and then off I went to illegally ride the ubahn since I was now completely BROKE.

Head back to my hostel. it's nine, I'm exhausted, underfed and overheating.
go to my room and lay down for a bit, contemplate back and forth about using my drink ticket and my emergency 5er on a few drinks at the hostel pub.
I decide to at least go check my emails in the lobby and at the same time scout out the scene.
head down and get struck with stage fright.
what the fuck am I going to do?
just walk in there and start talking to people?

- for anyone who thought the following when reading that:
a) uh, yeah
b) of course
c) sure why not
d) what else would you do

well I have some choice words for you, but because I love you, I'll keep them to myself and instead just say. If you think its as easy as answers a-d, you try it.
go into a Bar where you won't know anyone and just start making conversation with a random person - who may not even speak English.

Anyway so after an unconvincing yet appreciated pep talk (thanks again) I go in, order a drink and have an awkward seat at the bar between two groups of people and sip my free glass of red (ya I said red Momar, I may never go back) eventually some random dude from New York started talking to me, he was traveling alone too and pretty much just told me to suck it up and talk to people everywhere, on the trains in the streets. You've got nothing to lose and the alternative is just plain boring.
Now I may not remember his name, but his sage advise I'll carry through my travels.

Okay
Vienna day 2
lay in bed until all 3 other girls are gone, the 2 unfriendlies from yesterday pack and leave. I get up shower and loaft around a bit and then decide to do the one thing that will surely lift my spirits. Go (window) Shopping, I get dressed and head out to a shocking change in temperature.
it's dropped to about 10 degrees and is rainy/windy.
I shop/wander about for a few good hours and then head back to the Hostel where they are holding their 10 year anniversary party which includes free beer and bbq from 4-6 followed by happy hour at the pub and then a DJ and shindig at the other Hostel down the street. I get back to my room about quarter to 5 to put away my coat and bag freshen up and head down.
Get to my room and there's a girl sleeping on the newly vacant bottom bunk, she slightly raises her head when I enter with a nod to greet me and lays it back down.
"Great" I think, "another gem"
but then I remember the Americans advice and start talking to her.
turns out she's Irish, and super friendly, also traveling on her own and we get to chatting.
I'm not sure if it's cause we vibe well or because I haven't really talked to anyone in ages but the conversation goes lovely, so much in fact that I'm almost missing my free food.
with minutes to spare I leave her to get showered and I run down to get some BBQ and Beer.
Meet some girl in line - from Mississauga - she's on a Contiki tour with a group of 45 who are staying at the hostel. We chat for the next half hour while waiting on the freezing cold patio for our food. (see - nothing in life is really free)
So I head down with my food, my line friend has to jam to hit up some concert with the group and I sit at a table with a few people. They're all deep in conversation, so I sit and eat while scanning the room for Sarah (my new roomie) she finally joins me and at some point we engage with the table - who are also from the Contiki group but opted out of the festivities.

Long story short, we partied up with the some of the Contiki group (who were mostly Aussies - and i'm pretty sure they're taking over the world)

Spent two lovely days exploring all the corners of Vienna with Sarah*. Don't believe me? come feel my nice firm ass.
took in the sights and a slightly misleading musical performance of Motzart and Johann Strauss featuring some Opera singers and ballet. Notably missing any form of Waltz -which we specifically went for . lovely none the less.

I am currently sitting in my temporary pad, which is bitchin and bad ass all wrapped in one.
only downfalls of this place,
1- my bed is loft style and requires stair climbing to get to and from it, which my abnormally small bladder does not enjoy.
2- I have no one to share in the splendor of its wickedness, yet.

Other than that, I've taken up hot yoga, which is exactly what it sounds like. yoga, HOT.
and I've just come from watching Inglorious Bastards. Quentin you remain a consistent genius (and simultaneous fashion victim) - if you haven't seen this movie. please do. as a personal favor to me, enrich your life and have a laugh**Sarah and I having champagne during intermission of culturefest '09


Sarah and I, view from the Gloriette overlooking Schonbrunn Palace

* it must be mentioned, that this girl was/is awesome and the vibe was no reflection of my desperation for companionship, officially the first friend I met on my travels
** Mum, you might be the exception to the rule, I don't think you'd enjoy this film very much

No comments:

Post a Comment