Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sliding Doors

this is like the time that Rapunzel had to spin the straw into gold,
only I have to spin crazy into words and there's no little man here to help me. (which is probably a good thing, cause that would be a whole other level of crazy)

So I pretty much have crazy thoughts running through my head all the time.
In addition to the crazy shit that often comes out of my mouth there's this whole other container of nuts that I keep to myself.
I just don't really know how to explain it.
* an unbelievable amount of time has passed while I've been thinking of how to write this down, adding to the 50 minute bus ride that I had to think about it.

Sliding doors:

Whenever I make a decision, left, right, this subway car, that one. stop to tie my shoe. I wonder.
what if
what if I had gone the other way, not stopped to tie my shoe, didn't have a sudden bout of diarrhea?
would my life be completely different?!
I know I'm not the only one who thinks like this, it kinda goes along with the everything happens for a reason thought process. But I think about this ALL THE TIME.
to the point where I often spend hours day dreaming about my parallel lives. I think about a world of opposite decisions, which by default would split infinitely, every fork would produce another set of choices, like when two mirrors face each other.


You can maybe see here where the crazy sets in.
So I decide today to go out.
Scroll the web for something to do, and there's this website I found that lists a variety of lesser known, but cool things to do in Vienna. I also got an email from some dude from Travelbuddy (yaya) with some suggestions. Well there's this bar called Chelsea that he mentions and it's also on this site (and has been one of my favorite names since I was a kid, so it stood out right away)
I decide I'm going to go and was planning on leaving at 10 ish, to check it out, grab a drink and then head back before the subway stops at 12:30. This bar is in a kinda trendy bar area which is a ways out for me, not super far, but I have to switch lines twice.
So for those of you who know me well, if I say 10 I usually mean 11 (ok fine, 12), even if the only person I'm telling is myself. I dilly dally like the best of them.
So I finally leave around 11 and get to the station which is about a 3 min walk from my place and just as I'm about to step on the escalator I have this panic feeling that I didn't lock the door. I hover over the first step and contemplate turning back, eventually convincing my OCD to back the fuck down and I get on with it. (I did lock the door, I always lock the door, and I always have to go back and check)
So I get to the platform and wait, then some old, half (if not 3/4 of the way) in the bag man starts talking to me, I tell him I don't understand German very well, but he continues to slur out conversation.
So I'm on the train and because of the many lines of this lovely transit system I have options on which way to go. I'm thinking that I switch over at the green line rather than the orange since it's a stop closer to me getting this man off my back, but decided to stick it out the extra stop since I need to grab cash and this way will take me to a bigger station where there's bound to be an ATM.
Get off, switch lines. orange to brown - Westbahnhoff.
I get off here and go to use the ATM, but it's filthy, like I'm pretty sure there's some strain of hepatitis just waiting for a carrier on the keypad.
So I skip it and hope that there's one when I get off.
there isn't.
I carry on to my stop, quick reference the map and head towards where I think the bar will be. It's not like Toronto at all. even the busy streets are relatively quite and I reach the bar before an ATM, so I keep going assuming I'll find one eventually. After walking a bit and up and down a few streets I decided to ask, it's 11:45 and I get closer to a pumpkin by the minute. So I ask the hot dog guy and he directs me down some street.
I go get money and make my way back, when I get to Chelsea, I go to the bathroom. I know these seem like really insignificant things, (like telling you about what I had for dinner) but there's a point, at least in reference to this particular rant. I was going to go straight to the bar, but the washrooms are right when you enter and I figured, I may as well go now since I'm right here. They were occupied and I had to wait a bit (see- significant).
Post washroom I enter and immediately there's a bar to my right, but I decide to go further in and hit the main bar, so I can check the place out more, and there's more people. I go to the main bar and spend a few minutes looking around and scoping it out. Then I move to the right to order, Vodka Water - what else?
Well, Europe hasn't heard of Vodka waters yet, and I decide after checking out the bartender that she's not in the mood for my drink order, so I make my way over to the left to check out the fridge and get the name of a beer so I don't look like a total foreigner. Two people are in front of me ordering and then taking their sweet ass time to move - I silently curse them. Then as they turn to leave I recognize the girl. She moved into my hostel room (Wombats, where I met Sarah) on the Saturday night as well, but I only met her on the Sunday and only just in passing had a few words with her.
Seriously. How effing random (in an attempt to keep this blog mother friendly I like to limit my actual swears)
She was staying at the hostel for a few days while looking for a place in Vienna as she starts school in October. In the meantime she went back to wherever she's from (somewhere in Germany) and had just came back to Vienna today, then had made plans with some dude she met in some other random scenario (that's just too much to explain right now) and they'd arrived almost the exact same time that I did, placing them in front of me at the bar at that exact moment.
So I spent the night with them, it was tame, since by the time all of this took place it was already midnight (I ended up missing the subway and taking a bus) so we only had a drink, but Nadia (that's the girl) and I made plans to meet up tomorrow.

So you see? all I could think about the whole night is, what if I had left when I said I was going to, or turned back to check the door? What if I had gotten off to avoid wino? What if I had chosen to risk my health and use that Atm, or to put my bladder to the test? What if I wimped out and didn't go out at all? (shout out to Marce and Steve for the encouragement)

And I know you could pretty much say that about every situation in life, which would just be crazy, but that brings us right back to the beginning, to how I'm a fair ways into crazy town.

that's all really.

(are you thinking about what your life would be like if you hadn't of wasted 10 minutes reading this nonsense blog?)

it's about time I head to not sleep. Hope you all are having a great weekend.

p.s. I took a break from thinking about all of this, to think about how sweet it would be to come home and share a bowl of alphagetti with bread and butter. it's been a long time since I woke up with a burnt tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment