Friday, August 7, 2009

forgive me, but I'm past my prime

ok,

so it seems as though this is the longest tale ever, and it's starting to lose it's luster
assuming it had any to begin with.

I'll try and stick to the good stuff.


2 hour ferry from Dover to Dunkirk

just prior to boarding the ferry it's come to our attention that our 1/4 tank of gas has depleted quite fast leaving us dangerously close to the red and we don't yet know this tanks capacity.
biting our nails we ask where the closest tank station is on the other side.
7 miles.

we arrive in Dunkirk and mysteriously the GPS fails us. it's out of battery!
but it's been plugged in the whole trip?!?!
we drive through back country roads in complete darkness in search of petrol and a place to sleep.
finally find a station on the other side of the road, is it worth the u-turn?
check the needle which is now well into the red threatening to drop below it.

not worth it, necessary.

we take the exit assuming we can get back on the other way
we become asses.
all we can do is keep driving
I take up several religions and make pleas to their respective deities.
miraculously we find our way back to the station and fill up.
it's well into the night now, 2 am maybe and we're all beat.
decide to pull into a space and get some sleep.
we step out of the car to get things sorted, and D notices a pair of beady eyes peering from the bushes.
"Fuckin Pykies hiding in the bushes mate"
but there's three of us and another camper van in front of us so we're not worried.
suddenly J notices that there are now 4 set of eyes staring out from the bushes.
"guys get in the car"
I look up to see a pykie headed straight for us, I almost want to reach out and touch him, to see if he's real.
we jump in the van and take off as fast as sweet Jane will allow. followed shortly there after by the other camper van.
sorry pykies not this time.

we drove far enough from the coast to where the Pykies wouldn't be lurking and pulled over to have a rest.
then woke up to drive 8 hours to Hannover.

spent 3 nights figuring out the best way to sleep the 3 of us "comfortably"
Hannover is a lovely place, but now we're in the process of mapping our way to Copenhagen.

the end. for now.

here are a few random bits of info that I couldn't be bothered to add in full detail
- I have a cold, it sucks
- since being in Hannover I've been hit in the face by 4 lady bugs
- there is currently a Lady bug crawling in my blackberries
- Beer in Germany is like no other and come in large, extra large and how am I supposed to carry this.
- the only place to shower in Hannover is the train station, it costs 7 euro.
- baby wipe bath in the back of the van anyone?
- I haven't taken pictures in days, except a few on the ferry that turned out bad, half because I'm a dirt bag and half because I can't be bothered.
- I wish I'd taken a picture of the Pykies.
- we got the GPS running, turns out we had cord plugged into the headphone hole and not the power one.
-oh and if you're wondering
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pykie
a close cousin of the Gypsy.
- there ended up being well over 7 of them in the bushes.
- we're over Hannover (hahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment