Monday, July 27, 2009

When Munich says it's ready to get loose, it means it. Me, I'm all talk

disclaimer: Mum, I promise I'm being very safe. like I said. I drank at home too. don't worry. seriously. as per the following tale, I know when to fold 'em and how to say no thanks

There's a lot I could tell you about my time here in Munich already, the city in itself, the company, selling on the street, the cafeteria where we have lunch with the elderly, or my first experience in a hostel shower, which involved me falling out of the stall. However I don't think I have it in me to reach into my memory box and lay it all out here in words right now. So for now, here's what I couldn't tell you.

Last night was my first sloppy Saturday (both by pre given name and by my physical state)
I couldn't really tell you where I went only that it was close enough to find my way back home. To say that I went to indie bar followed by mush bar, has no relevance what so ever. except that it's true.
I also couldn't really tell you why, but at some point during the night - and quite suddenly, I decided to go home.
(Jez and Ant -the Aussies, had only just made a dent after all, they're used to this by now, it was sloppy Saturday long before I came around)

So off I went, got to the steps of the CVJM (or for those English speaking readers, the YMCA) and sat to have a smoke.
There's a guy sitting there- or maybe I got there first- either way, he was staying there and had his room key but didn't arrange a late night key and was locked out

*** Side note, hostel reception and doors close at 12:30, if you're going to be late then you have to arrange a late night key.
Also, when I left the bar the following conversation occurred;

Jez: Vell, (or Meghan or Stephie) you gonna have your phone and wake up to let us in?
me: yes
Jez: are you sure?
Me: yes
*** side side note - whiskey turns me into a liar

anyway, so this guy tells me I'm his life saver, and we make small talk (or big, I can't really say) while I finish my smoke.
I couldn't really tell you much more, since I can only remember it the way you remember a dream when you first wake up, and it gets hazier every time I try to add detail, like the shape of his face, or even what language we were speaking.
I went upstairs to my room, 207, put on some pj's walked down the hall to pee, and then headed to the bed that was calling my name so loud I had to cover my ears.
though I also couldn't tell you how I found either my way up the stairs or into the pjs
As I'm brushing my teeth, there's a knock on the door. I open it
it's my friend from the stoop. He smiles and leans in for a pash*.
I say "this isn't a great idea"
shut the door in his face, turn and throw up in the sink.

end scene

some few hours later, I woke up to 7 missed calls and went down to let the boys in. Some very few hours after that, we all got woken by housekeeping who tells us check out is 10 am- an hour and a half ago.
we rushed to pack and get out of there, the boys went to do some washing and I practiced sleeping in a van. Woke up intermittently for the next few hours to street sounds and hunger pains, before finally driving to our home for the next week, where I've spent the better part of the day laying in bed and watching the worst that t.v. has to offer.
First thought when waking up in the van: "why am I wearing a bathing suit?"
and I still couldn't tell you why.


* look it up.

movie - Revolutionary Road
thoughts - hey, it's Jack and Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment